When he was small, my youngest son had a habit of filling his pockets with treasures he encountered in his daily adventures. I didn't always understand the value he saw in his chosen objects -- really, how many rocks and sticks could one boy keep? In his eyes, though, each one was beautiful and important. Life is just like that on a larger scale, isn't it? We gather up the precious bits of our experiences and save them all to learn from and enjoy later. Perhaps you'll find a little something here that you'd like to keep in your own pockets. Thanks for visiting.
Thursday, October 25, 2012
Ten things you've probably never said to your children
Today I'm participating in a Writer's Workshop hosted by Mama Kat over at Mama's Losin' It. She has invited other bloggers to write and share a post based on one of the interesting prompts she provided. When I saw "Write a list of ten things you have said to your kids that other moms might not say" as a subject option, I knew I had to join in! Have you met Noah and Will? Bizarre phrases come out of my mouth on a daily basis around our house.
Here are ten things I've said to the boys that you'll likely not hear other moms saying:
1. I would really like to know how you got pine needles in your underwear.
2. Sorry, but I don't think the guinea pig wants to go for a ride in the ferris wheel you built her out of K'Nex.
3. Are you sure you want to wear this Speedo for gym class today?
4. No, you may not have the parts from the broken water cooler/ old microwave / lawn tractor to make yourself a jet pack.
5. Why is your housecoat hanging from your blinds?
6. I hope that trap you built on the swing set wasn't intended for me.
7. I'm trusting that if I leave you home alone for a little while, I will not find a zip line running from our roof to the top of the giant willow tree when I come back.
8. Go get the bag of cat treats so you can show me again how you've taught the cat to do math!
9. Hmmm, that's odd -- suddenly I'm noticing random green berries on my red berry table centrepiece. Wait.... are those shriveled up PEAS from last night's dinner?!
10. Who's been making brains in the bathroom again?
Looking for some more entertaining stories to read? Head on over to Mama's Losin' It to see what other writers were inspired to share. (And please tell us the ridiculous things you've said to your children in the comments section below!) Happy Thursday.